Friday, April 5, 2013

Mortar for my rock wall

I received my book back from my editor with the first round of edits. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of "Red" on the page.  Since this is my first book, I know that I need to learn a lot. I fully expected to see more red than black on the pages. 

I'm trying my best not to get overwhelmed by the amount of work that my "finished" book still needs.  The comments have been wonderful, and I love how Lisa has the ability to fix those sentences that I would look at a scratch my head about.  I knew they weren't quite right, but couldn't figure out how to word them. When I read her fix I think, "That's it."

I was trying to give myself a pep talk (at 2 a.m.) so that I stay away from that dangerous cliff called "Overwhelmed"that I have a tendency to jump off. This is what I came up with:  By the grace of God my story happens to be good. But what Lisa is pointing out is places where it needs a bit of mortar to hold all of the rocks in place to make it a strong, well written story.  Since that is my goal, it seems that the time it will take is well spent.  I truly want to create a fun, great read for young adults that will also teach them.

So today, I'm not going to look at all of the work it's going to take, but at how strong my rock wall will be in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment