This year I decided enough was enough with the ugliness, so I went online to find a solution and I found quite a few.
Here is what I did . . .
I replaced the buttons and put fake fur around the cuffs, pocket opening and collar.
Now when I start a project I jump in with both feet and look later. So, I never remember to get a before photo for things like a blog. (sigh)
So here is the best I could do, it's after the buttons are replaced. But here is a pic. of the old buttons so that you can get an idea just how bad this coat looked.
Now instead of feeling like a dork, I feel like a million bucks!